Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Another Gift From God: Friends

I've come to the conclusion that friends are another form of family.  They are each gifts from God, sent into our lives in His timing. These friendships may be just for a season or for life, but always for a purpose. We were recently blessed to be able to host Andy and Kate, two of our good friends from college. Andy- Sol's former roommate and Kate- a member of my women's bible study in college, were both a large part of our "college season" in life but we hope to remain friends through the many seasons to come.

Andy and Kate are both dedicated students and have a deep appreciation and understanding of the sacrifice that graduate school requires. To honor us and celebrate our graduation they brought us each a very thoughtful graduation gift. Sol received a classy tobacco pipe from Andy. He, Andy and Ben (Sol's other dear friend from college) were able to share some man time out on our deck enjoying their pipes together. I love this picture!

Kate brought me this beautiful spoon bracelet. I had commented that I loved these when I had seen a similar one in the past and she took note! 

Thanks to some good weather during their trip we got to spend a few nights outside including a night at the Arkansas Traveler's ball park where Kate and Andy had their very first, that's right, FIRST funnel cake! Of course they loved it :)

Kate and I spent quite a bit of time on our deck enjoying the cool evenings and interacting with some of the friendly neighborhood bugs :)

During their trip we were also able to host a Sip n' See Housewarming party for Ben and fill his new house with love. Here is the crew breaking in his wonderful screened in porch! No bugs here!


I have to say over the last few months I've gained a new appreciation for and realized the value of having friends in my life. I have witnessed friends walk through both extreme pain and joy. God has been revealing his character though these experiences and relationships. Part of this revelation is that friendship is essentially love in action. Romans 12:9-10 "Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other." That is friendship, and I am so thankful for the dear friends in our lives in this season. Thank you all, you know who you are :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment